Friday, August 24, 2007

Blessed Event

The other day, I received a small pamphlet from Catherine Ponder's ministry talking about blessing. The idea was to start blessing the things you have been condemning. So, for instance, if you have been complaining about your job or your boss, start blessing them. And then wait to see what happens and how things improve.

I thought this was a great exercise and maybe something I needed to do in my life right now (after all, there had to be a reason I received this -- as there are no accidents!). So I set aside some time the next morning and began blessing everything in my life I could think of. One of the things I blessed was my house and everything about it. The furniture, the plumbing, the heating and air conditioning, the electricity, the windows, everything.

So I was excited and looking forward to what all this blessing did. Here's what happened. That very night, for the first time in 3 years, the electricity went out! And due to storms in the area, my electricity has gone out 3 more times in the last 24 hours. So much for my blessings!!

But, seriously, what does this mean? I truly said my blessing with feeling. It was not just some rote exercise. I truly felt grateful for everything in and connected with my house.

Then last night, another huge storm blew through as I was riding home on the train. I heard people talking on their cell phones about tornados, electricity going out, trees down, flooding. All the way home I said my blessing -- but differently this time!! I said "I am blessed." "My car is blessed." (which was parked on the street surrounded by trees). "My home is blessed." I said this to myself over and over. When I got off the train, the town was deserted. The power was out, the streets where flooding. Many tree branches had fallen to the ground. An electical wire had been snapped by a fallen tree. One side street was roped off and impassible. I kept walking the 4 blocks to my car, wondering what I would find there. I waded through ankle deep water in a low spot in the road. I turned the corner and found my car. PERFECTLY FINE!! There were tree branches all around it, but nothing had hit my car. It was blessed!

Then I drove through the darkened streets to my home. The power was on in our little neighborhood and the streets were not flooded. I got into the house and everything was fine. My home was blessed!

Do you see the difference between the two experiences? I have made a distinction. The first time, I was doing the blessing. I was bestowing my blessing on things and people as if I were some exaulted leader. (Read ego -- even though I did not realize it at the time). The second time I was declaring that things and people are blessed. Blessed by Source, blessed by God, blessed by Spirit. Remember, as Jesus said, "I of myself can do nothing, It is the Father within that doeth the work." So really I cannot bless anything in that way. I can have good will toward someone or something. I can stop condemn things, circumstances and people. But I will not be blessing people or things from now on.

I will declare and affirm that I am blessed and people are blessed and things are blessed. Not by me but by the infinite Love and Givingness of Spirit.

That is my blessed event.

No comments:

Post a Comment